Foodie Friday: Ultimate Tailgate Grub: Bacon, Shrimp, Wings, Slaw & Beverages
Bacon Wrapped Barbeque Shrimp
- 16 large headless shrimp
- 8 slices bacon
- barbeque seasoning, to taste
- Clean and devein the shrimp, leaving the last section of the tail. Wrap with 1/2 slice of bacon, securing with a toothpick. Be sure and use the large shrimp; the cooking time for the shrimp and the bacon is similar. If you do use mediums, you might want to precook the bacon a little–over cooked shrimp are tough and rubbery, and a real sin!
- Line a jellyroll pan (15x18x1 inch baking pan) with aluminum foil and place baking rack in pan. Place the shrimp on the rack, and sprinkle with barbecue seasoning to taste; turn and sprinkle second side. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes while the oven preheats. The bacon will turn from creamy white to a little opaque, and the seasoning will soak in.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Bake wrapped shrimp in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. The bacon should be crisp, and the shrimp pink and tender. The rack keeps the shrimp from sitting in the draining bacon fat.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 382 | Total Fat: 34.3g | Cholesterol: 108mg
Restaurant-Style Buffalo Chicken Wings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 chicken wings
- oil for deep frying
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 dash garlic powder
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Place chicken wings in a large nonporous glass dish or bowl and sprinkle flour mixture over them until they are evenly coated. Cover dish or bowl and refrigerate for 60 to 90 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). The oil should be just enough to cover wings entirely, an inch or so deep. Combine the butter, hot sauce, pepper and garlic powder in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir together and heat until butter is melted and mixture is well blended. Remove from heat and reserve for serving.
- Fry coated wings in hot oil for 10 to 15 minutes, or until parts of wings begin to turn brown. Remove from heat, place wings in serving bowl, add hot sauce mixture and stir together. Serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 364 | Total Fat: 32.4g | Cholesterol: 44mg
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, oil, peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic.
- In a large bowl, mix the green cabbage, red cabbage, napa cabbage, red bell peppers, carrots, green onions, and cilantro. Toss with the peanut butter mixture just before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 184 | Total Fat: 12.6g | Cholesterol: 0mg
What to Drink?
|Classic Whiskey Sour|
|Cherry Limeade I|